Sunday 6 May 2007

3d Online Development

I have been looking at Java-based DirectX solutions that might allow 3d visuals for Grand Prix Tycoon. Nothing complicated you understand, just a little spice to the menus.

However, all the current solutions seem a little lightweight for what I want to do (no access to the rendering pipelines, whereas my DX solutions are very low-level) and all are inordinately complicated for even the most simple actions (and this is compared to DirectX development in C++).

As I was writing this, I was asked by someone why I don't develop my games in DirectX and instead use browsers. Here's a list of reasons:

o Cost/time balance. Browser development can be done quickly without any cost. DirectX development is very difficult and arduous and requires a big team to do in any sensible size.
o My games are far more sophisticated than many commerical releases. They just don't have the graphics. So what?
o Browser-based games are easy to maintain and build upon. Software solutions require complicated update management systems.
o Grand Prix Tycoon can be played on anything from a Wii through to a mobile phone.
o I couldn't make it free. The cost of development and the time it would take would be far greater.
o Etc, etc. I can think of a few more but I'm too lazy to labour the point.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi
if you want 3d in java you could take a look at http://www.j3d.org/

Tamas

Danny Moules said...

...

Would it have killed you to read the post?

AC said...

Interesting points you make. I don't care about graphics myself; I have a Wii :P

Anyways, your games are great, no matter the visuals. Can't wait to see how this game turns out.

Anonymous said...

Dommage le qu'il doivent faire encore le 3D dans le jeu sinon il serait sortie depuis longtemps

Danny Moules said...

I have to apologise, I can't read French well enough to translate what you've written...